My Mom’s DIY Bathroom Makeover12:49:00 AM
After writing an entire post on this bathroom, my computer froze, only for me to realize that I hadn’t saved a draft-ugh!!!! So this will be a short synopsis of my mom’s bathroom makeover but with lots of pictures, unfortunately not of before's because my hubby and I tend to dive head-first into projects and forget to take the before pics!
So for a quick background on my mom’s home and what prompted this makeover: My mom lives on the first floor of our family’s three story home. The house was built in the 1920’s, although it has undergone many updates and makeovers, it still possesses lots of it's original character and charm. What started this makeover was a leak in the ceiling over the shower from the upstairs bathroom.
So first off in our demo was the ceiling and walls around the shower and tub area. While in the process we came across several layers of wallpaper. My favorite though was the underwater ocean themed one, with the bright pink fish and neon green ocean plants.
The bottom half of the walls were covered in faux tile paneling, complete with vinyl baseboards, yuck! and underneath the paneling was--what I think was-- original wooden walls, covered in layers and layers of paint (second pic down).
We added white beadboard paneling a little more than halfway up the walls, used a thin chair rail molding and finished the bottom off with a 5 1/2 inch baseboard to resemble the existing baseboards in the rest of the house.
She also got a new toilet installed.
The walls received several patch and paint treatments, but eventually we learned to live with them, besides it was a huge improvement from the peeling wallpaper that was there before.
My mom really wanted some bulky crown molding, we installed 5 inch thick casing to appear like crown molding, because it was cheaper and still gave the same effect against the darker toned walls.
My mom originally had a white cabinet vanity with cultured marble top, but we wanted something warmer to match the gold tones in the paint color and to warm up the white beadboard walls. So we chose a wooden vanity cabinet in a dark walnut tone with a granite countertop. The faucet was purchased in a brushed nickel, but was spray painted ORB as well as the light fixture. My mom had purchased heavy brass fixtures (towel holder, toilet paper holder, etc . . .) back in '98 when she had the last remodel, but during the demo, we misplaced the screws and have been on the search for new hardware for the fixtures-those received a fresh coat of ORB as well.(not shown)
The floors were basic peel and stick vinyls that were old, dated and dingy.
THE SEMI-FINISHED PRODUCT:
I still have to cut molding for the thin wall between the shower and vanity area (ran in to a few problems due to the sizing of the tub surround) and find that missing hardware (or purchase new) and further accessorize with fluffy towels and other accessories…
Although it is not fully completed, it’s come along way . . .
Thanks for visiting!
Linking up with: