Kitchen Updates: “Bead board” Backsplash in progress8:45:00 AM
It’s been quite a while since I've last posted, but it doesn’t mean I’ve stopped working! I have recently decided to spend some more time on my kitchen. We desperately wanted to do a an entire renovation, but came back to reality and realized that it is not a priority right now in our lives or in our budget, so we’ve decided to make what we have work for us. We started by paining the walls. The paint color we had before was Brown Tepee by Behr, which we’ve been living with for just about 6 years, so it was definitely time for a change. We chose the paint color Calm Air by Behr, it’s a warm, yellow tone but I believe can still pass as a neutral. (If it were entirely up to me, I would have gone two shades lighter than what we originally had-but my hubby insisted that we needed a major change.)
I’ve been wanting a tile backsplash since the day we moved into our home, but I have commitment issues. I can never commit to one color or selection of tile because I’m afraid that I’ll hate it 6 months down the road. So I decided to go the bead board backsplash route like Sara at Thrifty Décor Chick did.
I was all ready-I had lots of bead board leftover from bead board peninsula project and I figured that I could finish this project in no time-that is until I made my first outlet cut. The bead board was to thick for me to replace the outlet cover! I didn’t feel like buying outlet extenders and all of that, so we decided to follow Rhoda’s tutorial on using bead board wall paper!
The paintable bead board wallpaper we bought was by Allen and Roth at Lowes, it was $20 a roll-not bad at all! One 4X8 sheet of real bead board paneling costs the same. It is super easy to install and when I’m tired of it- it can be removed easily in full sheets-as it is made of a foam type of material. For some reason, being the geniuses that we are-we didn’t do the math right and purchased three rolls-when realistically it only took one to do our 9x9 kitchen. (check back to see what I did with the remaining rolls)
I’m going to show you some before and after's with a brief tutorial, but also check out Rhoda’s for a more in depth tutorial.
In these two pictures, you can kind of see the contrast of the wall colors, the wall color under the cabinets is the old wall color and the wall color on the side of the cabinets is the new wall color. You might also be able to see how I attempted to glaze the cabinet door on the right, but decided that I didn’t really care for the look.
Here’s what to do:
Remove all outlet faceplates, and wipe down walls-directions say to prime, but I skipped this step-cuz I’m lazy like that.
Measure your walls and cut sections to fit. If you plan on adding trim then your cut lines don’t have to be 100% accurate.
For cutting outlet holes, I placed the wallpaper against the outlet and just felt the shape and scoured the wallpaper with my knife.
Prepare sink with water to soak wallpaper
Soak wallpaper for less than 30 seconds in water, being sure that the entire backside gets wet.
Remove from water and fold the paste side to itself to activate the glue. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
Then apply to wall being sure to keep the straight edge level on wall( my straight edge was the left corner under the cabinet).
Continue applying to wall section by section being sure that your seams don’t overlap and that your “beads” are level. As you can see I messed up on this cut, but no worries, because I plan to add trim and ----caulk and paint work wonders with this wallpaper.
Trim and cut as necessary-I used a utility knife that came with my kitchen knife set, but scissors or a razor knife would work as well.
I’m loving the look thus far!
Be aware of air/glue pockets under the wallpaper, I used a clean foam roller to smooth out the paper to rid it of the bumpy appearance.
Behind the stove I cut my sections of wallpaper longer than the other pieces, because I wanted to give the illusion that the bead board goes all the way to the floor.
Now it’s just a matter of deciding which trim to use . . .
Ha! you caught me, I never painted the underside of my cabinets, lol adding it to the to-do list!
The empty space with the paint cans is where our new dishwasher will go-can’t wait-so tired of begging/bribing my 11 year old to wash the dishes!
I’ll be back with the finished product!-I know I still have to reveal my tween boys bedroom and now a bathroom to match! stay tuned!