Project: 1Room30Days: Updates (and Obstacles) Before the Reveal . . .1:12:00 AM
Hey Y'all! I wanted to share a few more updates that I made to my bedroom during the 1 Room 30 Days Challenge. No great work is done without obstacles, okay I was trying to sound really profound there, lol, but it's the truth! The pic below shows the status of my bedroom last week. I had a plan, an honest to goodness plan, but let's be real, I am no good with those. So, I started my day hoping to get all of my spray painting accomplished, paint my nightstands and my closet doors. And guess what? I was able to get it all done, but not without a few challenges of course.
The One NightstandI decided to paint my nightstands on a whim. We weren't in the market for new furniture because we'd only just purchased our set a few years ago, so I had to make them work. By painting them a creamy white it helped to make the space a bit brighter and less heavy.
I mixed a few different paints that I had on hand to achieve this lighter color. I began painting with a mini foam roller (as I do with all of my furniture) and a brush for the details. This nightstand has a lot of detail, so this was a problem because the paint mixture was crap----like seriously just awful! It was a chalky mess and not smooth Annie Sloan chalk paint, it was horrible.
After assessing the damage, I pretty much cried, I was so upset, mainly because I knew better. I called my hubby and told him what a mess I had made and he suggested just going over it with spray paint---which I should have done from the beginning. There were way too many details on this piece to try to paint it by hand (and in a hurry at that!) At this point, I decided I needed to step away . . . and eventually came back and finished it.
Once, I got a nice even coat on the nightstand, I decided to change out the pulls on the drawer. We have a ton of knobs and pulls on hand from my hubby's furniture, so I combined two elements from the pulls on the left to make the pull on the right.
After giving the pulls a little bath in barkeeper's friend, they were good as gold! Doesn't this corner look so much brighter now?
To the Window to the Walls (or in reverse order)
I took a breather after my nightstand breakdown and randomly decided to get a roller and start painting the wall behind my bed, becasue that's what I like to do when I'm under pressure, add more stress ***sigh*** I have no idea why, it wasn't in my plans, it just happened! Usually, hubby is right by my side in projects like these, but he's been busy with work, so I was on my own---and let me tell you, this day was truly a challenge.
Night Table (?)After dealing with the nightstand debacle, I decided to just use a small side table for my side of the bed and it helped to further break up my matchy-matchy bedroom furniture.
I gave it a few quick coats of spray paint and it was as good as new! Plus, it helps by eliminating all the unnecessary clutter at my bedside.
Light it up!
For my hubby's side of the bed, I grabbed this brass lamp that I's thrifted a while back, and then I remembered my friend Linda's "How to Update Thrifted Lamps" post and knew right away, that I wanted to give it a try.
Note to self: Always do a test spray first
I had to sand down the bumpy textured part, where the paint spat out at the lamp, but I was able to touch it up with no problem.
Shut the Closet Doors!
The closet doors got an unplanned paint job as well. I began painting them and got bored (at this point I had half a nightstand painted, half a wall, and half of the closet doors painted--sensing a theme here?)
Then I called in for reinforcement! I don't know why it took me so long to think of this! I put this little lady to work since she was begging to go to the mall that day. Favor for a favor, right? She finished the closet, while I trimmed in the walls.
Oh that's Shady:
Next was the windows, I added these great bamboo roman shades. They were so easy to install and added so much texture to the room. On the top you can see the original white blinds and the bamboo blinds installed at the same placement. But when I stepped back it didn't look right to me, so I unscrewed them and raised them up closer to the curtain rod (right) and it was perfect!
By raising the shades higher it looks as if I added height to the room.
Phew!!! So that's it, the rest is just the minor stuff! I'm in love with my new space and I can't wait to share my reveal with you! This challenge was just that-A CHALLENGE, but I'm so glad I took part in it, I don't think my room has felt as cozy and inviting since we've lived here! If you're interested in challenging yourself, join Alaya at Behind the Big Green Door in June for her next challenge.
Project 1 Room 30 Days, Previous Weeks: