In my last post, I talked a little about giving unique gifts and how I tend to suck at gift giving unless it is something that I have made from the heart or it is personalized. I am HUGE on the philosophy of functional beauty and prefer gifts that serve a purpose. Anyway, when I decided to gift my hubby this beautiful Jord Wood Watch, I thought it would be sweet to make him something nice to keep his jewelry organized and to hold his beautiful new timepiece. So I designed and built this little accessory holder/charging station in just a couple of hours (from start to finish) out of scrap wood, and you can too!! This accessory holder/charging station was totally made up as I went along, so please note the slight hiccup (mentioned in step 3), if you choose to make one of these for yourself.
What you’ll need:
- 2-8″ pieces of 1″x4″ (or smaller depending on wrist size of watch or bracelets)
- 1-4″ piece of 1″x2″
- 1-3″ piece of quarter round
- 6-2″ wood screws
- Drill (to pre-drill holes)
- Drill Bits
- Screwgun or screwdriver
- Sanding block or palm sander
- Wood glue (optional, I skipped the gluing for this tutorial because I don’t feel like it’s necessary, but you may feel a little more professional if you want to use it)
- Stain (optional)
- Craft Paint and paint brush (also optional)
- Painter’s Tape
What to do:
1. Cut your wood to your desired measurements and sand any rough edges until smooth. I made 2 of these, 1 for my husband and one for my oldest son. One I made 6.5 inches and the other 8 inches based on the amount of storage space needed. The 8″ holder is shown for this tutorial.
2. Draw a line lightly in the middle of each piece of wood to mark the center.
3. Apply wood glue to the mitered edge of the 1x2and affix it to the CENTER of the 1×4 (this image shows the 1×2 being affixed to the edge of the 1×8 DO NOT DO THIS, I came to find out later that when the weight of a cellphone is removed, it tends to tip).
4. Drill a hole in the center of the board along the center line, and 1 whole just outside the center line (to form a triangle).
5. At the opposite edge, draw a 1 inch line about 1.5″ from the edge of the board (this is where you will drill your hole for the charger).
6. Use a large drill bit and drill two holes next to each other to make enough space for your charger.
7. Screw the 1×2 to the 1×4 with 2″ wood screws.
8. Next, you’ll want to line up the other 8′ 1×4 by laying the piece on its side to ensure that they are flush ( or use a carpenter’s square or level to line them up). Attach with wood glue, ensuring that you leave at least a 2″ clearance.
9. Attach wood screws using the same triangle method as above.
Look at that! we’re getting somewhere! (Sidenote: this could make a really cute sign/holder)
10. Grab your quarter round . . .
11. Line it up in the center of the bottom board and affix with wood glue, and screw it together with your wood screws.
Okay, almost at the finish line!
12. Decorate! Since my plan was to give this to my husband to compliment his new Jord Wood Watch, I chose to stain it using a mix of Minwax mahogany and natural stain. When staining it’s always a good idea to wear gloves to protect your skin. Other finishing options are using a wood burning tool to inscribe someone’s name, or painting a nice saying, you could even —the possibilities are endless!
Once the stain dried, I played around with some painters tape and decided on diagonal stripes to form a “v” shaped down the middle using gray paint.
***Quick Tip: When painting lines with painters tape, it’s SUPER important to really press the edges of the tape with your finger nail and then paint the edges of the tape lightly first, going away from the edge to avoid leaks under the tape and to achieve nice, crisp lines. Let dry then fill in between the lines. Remove the tape and voila!
I am absolutely in love with this little project! It’s such a unique and functional gift for just about anyone! And it’s also a great beginner’s project!
If you are as in love with this little gift idea as much as I am, please share it or pin it, #sharingiscaring! As always, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitiate to leave a comment in the comment section or shoot me an email, I’d be glad to answer any questions! Now go build something!
oh and before I forget, you still have time to enter the giveaway:
And, everyone else who enters will get a $20 e-voucher that can be applied to any watch on their website.
The contest will close 8/19 at 11:59pm.