Well, the days and weeks are surely flying by! I can’t believe it’s been 3
weeks since I’ve shared a progress update! And we’ve officially been in
#the1878bycarli for 8 weeks! Sorry y’all! I’ve had a few friends and
family members ask me when they’ll see progress updates on Facebook, but I typically only
share there when I write a blog post/video, so be sure to follow along on IG
where you can keep up with us far more regularly!
So, where do I begin? While our main focus is to get the main floor done—-mainly the kitchen and bath functioning–our bar is set pretty low at this point, but take a peek at what we’ve accomplished over the past few weeks.
If you follow along on my instastories you will see that 2
weeks ago, my hubs, on a whim took a wall down upstairs-(an area we are not even supposed to be thinking about quite yet), opening up the
“master” bedroom and eliminating a smaller, sort of awkward bedroom space.
I’m pretty excited though because I was inspired by Young House Love’s 2nd floor of their Beach House for a potential layout for upstairs -I’ll be sharing more on this soon.
Still to be done:
- Plaster ceiling needs to be removed
- Walls need to be framed ,drywalled, taped and sanded
- Floors need to be refinished
- Electrical outlets need to be wired
|FUGLY Bathroom that could have been cleaned up|
The house originally had two FUGLY, but FUNCTIONING bathrooms– but demo
got the best of my hubs and he went a little crazy.
- We’ve replaced the sub-floor in the back hall and bathroom.
- Drywall has been installed in the back bedroom (our oldest son’s bedroom).
Drywall has been installed in the back hall and partially going up the rear stairway, and the stair treads have been primed, (yeah, we’re all over the place).
This view is from the top of the rear staircase. It sort of saddens me how much wasted space is here. I’m going to try to be creative and form some sort of storage solution in this area down the line.
And in the midst of all the craziness, I decided to focus on something pretty which I could actually control, and started thinking about paint colors for the exterior doors.
- My Ikea Kitchen cabinets have arrived and have been partially assembled. I’ll have to share with you later the fiasco we dealt with in trying to get the cabinets delivered–I was not impressed!
- Our daughter’s room has been skim coated and sanded.
Kyle’s mini-room has been skim coated and sanded.
- To be done: Needs walls primed, trim painted, outlet covers and a light fixture.
We’re pretty pleased with the progress thus far. Our hope is to be able to move in within the next three weeks. And by move in, I mean we plan to live on the main level of our home, while we work to complete the 2nd floor renovation.
Our current home was listed this week, and we’ve already received an offer—please say a little extra prayer for us, that all goes well.
And now, for items that need to be “completed” before moving in:
- Bathroom needs to be functional-toilet and tile installed
- Kitchen counter tops need to be ordered
- Rear hallway needs to be taped and sanded
And when we want to escape the crazy, we take a breather under this mulberry tree: All the heart eyes!
I’ll be back next week to discuss Floor tile, our kitchen cabinet fiasco and a potential floor plan for the 2nd floor/master bedroom.