Friends when we last left off, I had just finished installing the cedar planks over the popcorn ceiling. You can read more about that in this post. The next step was adding in the trim to cover the gaps around the edges of the room. With this cedar plank product it was necessary to leave a quarter inch gap for expansion so it’s almost impossible to get away with this type of installation without using trim.
Faux Crown Molding
You guys know how much I loathe installing crown molding—so I decided to go with a simple “faux crown molding” which I’ve done several times in the past. This trim is just a simple 1×2 and a 1×3 (or 4) stacked on top of each other which once caulked and painted, helps give the appearance of crown molding.
For this space, I used a 1×2 and a 1×3 to start. I installed the 1x2s flat up against the wood ceiling all the way around the room. Next I installed the 1x3s directly underneath the 1x2s but this time flat against the wall with one and a half inch brad nails.
I also had to reconfigure the trim around my built-ins. I had originally used 1x4s for the top and needed to change them out to 1x3s so they could be cohesive with the rest of the trim in the room.
I ended up adding some small colonial style trim around the built-ins to cover the gap.
Because they’re straight boards, I didn’t have to cut mitered corners I allowed the boards to butt up against each other and once it’s all caulked and then painted you’ll never even know the difference.
Once the trim was installed I caulked all the seams, and then filled all the nail holes.
Next up it was time to paint. I painted the trim the same color as the walls-Sherwin Williams Basalt Powder, for the built-ins, I used the color Sculptor’s Clay by Behr, a very subtle difference. Because I had painted the 1x2s prior to installing them , the only thing I needed to paint was the 1x3s against the wall. This made this process so much easier, and also helped to not get paint on my new wood planks.
Seams in The Ceiling
Once everything was all painted I had to decide on the strapping for the seams on the ceiling, I knew I didn’t want large beams since our ceilings are lower.
So I decided to use the same planks, but ripped them down to remove the tongue and groove portion so they look almost like a lattice trim. This worked out perfectly because the match with the ceiling and they don’t protrude into the space.
I mentioned in my last post how we made a big mistake by not planning out our layout and unfortunately it caused one of the seems to be right in the middle of where recessed lights were located.
We struggled trying to come up with a solution for this problem and then ultimately, I decided to shift the lights over about 3 inches and filled in the wood pieces with extra planks. I unfortunately had to buy new lights –ones that were flatter to fit between the wood and the ceiling, but it allowed the strapping to clear the lights and be able to cover the seam. Once that hiccup was behind us, we were golden.
Although there were only 2 seams that needed to be covered, I wanted it all to look symmetrical, so I added two additional faux strappings.
Oddly enough I never took a pic of it once we got all the strapping up, but I’ll be back to share some final reveal photos soon! This is definitely one of those projects that I’m kicking myself for not doing sooner, it’s such a huge improvement!